Welcome to the Loyola Academy digital exhibit, which focuses on the early years of Loyola Academy from its founding in 1909 on Loyola's Lake Shore Campus to its move to Wilmette, Illinois, in 1957. Fr. Henry Dumbach, S.J. founded Loyola Academy as an all boys high school to serve Catholic families on Chicago's north side. Dumbach Hall, the original home of the Academy, was the first building constructed on what would become Loyola's Lake Shore Campus in Rogers Park.
This exhibit explores Loyola Academy's history as well as the many extracurricular activities at the school. The exhibit highlights the following:
- Dumbach Hall's construction
- Athletics including basketball, baseball, football, and track
- Coach Leonard "Lenny" Sachs
- Band and orchestra
- Debating Society
- Chicago's Polio Outbreak
Follow the pages on the header bar or click the "next" button at the bottom of each page to learn more about Loyola Academy's early years.
This digital exhibit was created by Bryan Morey in 2019 using textual and photographic materials in Loyola University Chicago's University Archives and Special Collections.